All Collections
Functional Skills
Functional Skills Evidence Requirements
Functional Skills Evidence Requirements

How to evidence maths and English Level 2 requirements

Updated over a week ago


If you're planning to start an apprenticeship in the UK, you'll need to show that you have Level 2 qualifications in English and Maths. This is a government requirement necessary for participating in these programs. This guide is designed to help you, an apprentice with Multiverse, understand how to submit the correct qualifications and make your apprenticeship journey as smooth as possible.

Submitting Evidence During the Application Process

For Career Starter Candidates

If you’re applying for an apprenticeship with a new employer, you’ll need to submit proof of your Level 2 Maths and English qualifications to get approved to apply for roles.

For Current Employees

Already working and looking to advance with an apprenticeship? We recommend submitting your qualification evidence right when you apply. This helps us review your application faster and avoids any delays. If you can't submit yet, you'll need to pass the initial assessments and then you have 42 days to provide your qualifications if you don’t want to sit Functional Skills exams whilst on-programme.

Submitting Evidence On-Programme

Once you've started your apprenticeship and attended your 'Flying Start' session, remember you have up to 42 days to submit your Functional Skills evidence. If you miss this window or you can’t provide this evidence, you will be enrolled in Functional Skills exams.

Just a little heads-up: please don’t upload your certificates to your platform account after your Flying Start. Instead, use the chatbot on and type ‘submit functional skills certificates’ to ensure the post-application submission is reviewed.

Types of Acceptable Evidence

Below is an overview of acceptable evidence of Level 2 Maths and English requirements. More detailed information can be found in the government guidance here.

Acceptable Evidence:

  • Full certificates or certified statements of results: Clear and detailed showing your qualification info.

  • Provisional results slips: These must include written confirmation that:

    • You did not undertake a resit.

    • You did not request any of the exam papers to be remarked.

    • Neither the school/college nor parent(s) requested a remark.

  • Official school reports from SIMS or CMIS: These must be authenticated with a stamp and signed by the school's examination officer. The report must include your full name, full qualification name, the awarding organization name and/or qualification number, the awarded grade, and the date of achievement.

Documents Not Accepted:

  • Certificates or results from exam boards not listed on the ESFA's acceptable evidence list (e.g., IELTS, ESOL, Level 2 Entry qualifications).

  • Cropped certificates.

  • Certificates that don't display grades.

  • Result slips from schools, unless they are stamped and signed SIMS/CMIS reports specifying the exam board and award date.

  • Any unclear or illegible certificates

Evidence of Name Change

If there is a mismatch between the name on your qualification documents and your current registered name, additional evidence is required. Acceptable documents include marriage certificates, deed polls, or legal declarations of name change.

UK Qualifications

Specific UK Qualifications We Accept:

  • GCSE: Any GCSE with ‘Maths’ or ‘English’ in the title (excluding English as a second language), minimum grade C or 4. Note: GCSE Equivalency qualifications are not accepted.

  • International GCSE: Same criteria as regular GCSE.

  • Functional Skills Level 2: Must include both English and Maths, with a passing grade.

  • Key Skills Level 2: Titles should include ‘Communication’ for literacy and ‘Application of Number’ for numeracy, with a passing grade.

  • A Levels and AS Levels: Must strictly have ‘English’ or ‘Maths’ in the title, with a minimum grade of E.

  • O Level: Needs ‘English’ or ‘Maths’ in the title, minimum grade C.

  • CSE: Only grade 1 is acceptable for English or Maths titles.

  • Degrees: Only those specifically named ‘English’ or ‘Mathematics’, not just containing those subjects as units.

  • International Baccalaureate: Only English A or A1; no other variants like A2 or B forms, with a minimum acceptable grade of 3.

  • PLR - Personal Learning Records: Should comprehensively detail the qualification name, awarding organization, grade, and date of achievement.

International Qualifications

Got qualifications from outside the UK? We can usually accept international secondary school Maths qualifications. However, for English, the requirement is that it was studied as a first language. We check international qualifications against ECCTIS standards to ensure they're equivalent to UK standards.

Certificates with transcripts need to be translated and certified if from the following countries:

  • Greece

  • Ukraine

  • China

  • Russian

  • Bulgaria

  • Saudi Arabia

Retrieving Lost Evidence

Misplaced your certificates? No worries! Here's how to retrieve them:

  • Identify which UK exam board issued your certification. This knowledge is crucial for obtaining the right replacements.

  • Submit a subject access request under GDPR regulations to the relevant exam board. They will usually respond with the vital information within 30 days.

Steps for Submitting a Subject Access Request:

  1. Visit the appropriate exam board's website or contact them via their listed email addresses.

  2. Once you have received the needed information, you can officially request a duplicate certificate or certified statement of results from the correct board.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why is university/degree/master's evidence rejected?

  • Guidelines specify that only qualifications with Maths or English explicitly in the title are accepted. This is to meet government standards.

Why is my International evidence not recognised?

  • Verifying international qualifications can be tricky and depends on third-party evaluations such as ECCTIS. We’re here to help guide you through the verification process or towards completing any necessary exams.

What is a PLR?

  • A Personal Learning Record keeps track of any Maths and/or English qualifications you’ve obtained in the UK since 2012. It’s a handy way for us to verify your achievements digitally during or after your application.

Need further support? Our Support Team are happy to help. You can contact the support team via the widget in the bottom right-hand corner of this page.

To submit evidence or forms: Simply type 'submit evidence' into the chatbot and follow the prompts.

Did this answer your question?